Welcome to the Year 1 (Chestnut Class) Page
Your Teacher in Chestnut Class is Mrs Mackay
The children in Chestnut Class are in Year One and are making the important transition from the EYFS to Key Stage One of the National Curriculum.
In addition to our curriculum statements available under the ‘Our Learning’ tab, the documents below will give more information about the curriculum in Chestnut Class:
- Chestnut Class Newsletter April 2018 (.pdf)
- Chestnut Class Long Term Topic Overview 2017 - 2018 (.pdf)
- Chestnut Class Timetable April 2018 (.pdf)
- White Rose Maths Curriculum Overview for Year 1, 2017 (.pdf)
- Mental Maths Targets Explained March 2017 (.pdf)
- Phonics - Parent and Carer Information Sheet (.pdf)
We hope that you will feel welcome in our classroom at all times and will contact Mrs Mackay immediately, should you have any questions at any time during the term.
Our PE days will be Monday and Thursday. We will be taking part in outdoor PE when the weather is reasonable so please ensure children have shoes for the field.
Weekly homework in Chestnut Class may include:
- Reading books are sent home daily along with a home learning record. Please sign the home learning record when you hear your child read at home. Children do not always have to read their school reading book - you could record any reading they do as this all counts towards their sticker for reading four or more times at home in a week. Stickers will usually be awarded on Mondays.
- Children choose their own reading books so may sometimes choose a book that they have read before because they like it! This is also good for their learning as repetition helps to secure language structures and comprehension, but if the same book comes home too many times, please let us know. Reading books will be stored in magazine files during the day so please do encourage your child to check here if he or she comes home without a book.
- Spelling lists will be sent home at the start of each half term, showing the sounds and spelling patterns to be taught. Children will stick a new list in their reading records on Mondays, which will be reinforced throughout the week in school and checked on Fridays. They receive bonus points if they correctly join the words when writing them on Friday. The emphasis is on writing the words correctly in all writing, not just in the spelling check on Fridays!
- The key words booklet contains the year one and two words that children need to be able to read on sight (without sounding out) and then to spell accurately. There are many creative things you can do with these to help your child to learn them so please ask if you wold like some ideas. The following links also show these words:
- Children will usually be given maths homework on a Friday, to be returned the following Tuesday. This will usually be in the form of a maths activity mat and it would be helpful if you could encourage your child to use concrete apparatus, such as counters or beans, number lines or clocks, to work out some of the answers.
- Children should also be regularly reinforcing number bonds (pairs of numbers that make a given total), and counting forwards and back in 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s.
Please visit the learning links section of this site for additional resources by subject.