40 questions to ask your children instead of ‘How was your day?’
1. What made you smile today?
2. Can you tell me an example of kindness you saw/showed?
3. Who were you a friend to at playtime?
4. What was the book about that your teacher read?
5. What new word did you learn today?
6. Did anyone do anything silly to make you laugh?
7. What did you do that was creative?
8. What is the most popular game at playtime?
9. What was the best thing that happened today?
10. Did you help anyone today?
11. Did you tell anyone “thank you?”
12. Who did you sit with at lunch?
13. What made you laugh?
14. Did you learn something you had previously misunderstood?
15. Who inspired you today?
16. What was your least favourite part of the day?
17. Was anyone in your class away today?
18. What is something you heard that surprised you?
19. What is something you saw that made you think?
20. Who did you play with today?
21. Tell me something you know today that you didn’t know yesterday.
22. What is something that challenged you?
23. How did someone cheer you up today? Did you cheer anyone up?
24. Did you like your lunch?
25. Rate your day on a scale from 1-10. Give it a colour.
26. How were you brave today?
27. What questions did you ask at school today?
28. Tell us your top two things from the day.
29. What are you looking forward to tomorrow?
30. What are you reading?
31. What was the hardest rule to follow today?
32. Teach me something I don’t know.
33. If you could change one thing about your day, what would it be?
34. What made your teacher smile?
35. What kind of person were you today?
36. What made you feel happy?
37. What made you feel proud?
38. What made you feel loved?
39. If you could swap seats with anyone in class, who would it be and why?
40. If you swapped places with your teacher tomorrow, what would you teach the