Welcome to the Year 1 & 2 (Bell Class) Page
Your Teacher in Bell Class is Mrs Houghton
Mrs Houghton is supported by Mrs Bosomworth and Mrs Kitchen.
The children in Bell Class are in Year One and Two and are making the important transition from the EYFS to Key Stage One of the National Curriculum.
If you have any questions or concerns, please just come and chat to one of us.
- Summer 2 Curriculum Overview
- White Rose Maths Curriculum Overview Year 1 - 2 (.pdf)
- Y1/2 Common Exception Words (.pdf)
Bell Class have PE on a Monday with Mr Loudon and on a Friday with Mr Cairns. Please make sure your children have the correct kits in school for these days.
Thank you for all your support with home learning. Our focus with extra learning at home continues to be reading and phonics / spelling.
- Children are expected to read at home at least 3 times a week.
- Reading books are sent home daily along with a reading record. Please sign the reading record when you hear your child read at home. Children do not always have to read their school reading book. We actively promote a love of reading so please do enjoy any books your child has a passion for!
- Children are reading either the Read Write Inc. Book Bag Books or they will have moved on to Accelerated Reader. As the children are encouraged to change their own reading books, please check that they have chosen books from the correct set (Read Write Inc.) or ZPD (Accelerated Reader).
- Please remind your child to change their book on the morning they are returning it to school (Read Write Inc. books) or to do the quiz for Accelerated Reader.
- If you feel your child is becoming fluent on a particular book band (RWI) and can answer all your questions relating to the book correctly, please do let Mrs Houghton know so she can assess their reading against the corresponding stage.
- Children on Accelerated Reader complete STAR assessments every half term which then determine whether or not there has been any change to ZPDs.
- Children using the Read Write Inc. books are expected to read the books three times. They need to read the first time to decode all the words accurately. The second read should be to develop fluency and expression. The third read should be to develop comprehension. Parents will find questions to ask the children at the back of the book.
- Y2 children will bring home a half termly overview at the start of each half term. They will be tested on them on a regular basis. We are practising each spelling string during school time so the children should be familiar with the words they are learning.
- Y1 children will bring home their lists of sounds that we have been practising throughout the week. This will support you in practising extra reading, writing and spelling skills with your child.
- Children should be regularly reinforcing number bonds (pairs of numbers that make a given total), and counting forwards and back in 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s.
- Y2 children would benefit from pracitsing their times tables at home too.
Key Words Booklets:
- The key word booklets contain the year one and two words that children need to be able to read on sight (without sounding out) and then to spell accurately. When your child can spell a word list from memory, please ask them to bring in their book to be tested.
The following links also show these key words:
Music & PSHE
Mrs Kitchen is teaching our PSHE curriculum each Friday afternoon and Mr Houghton is teaching music.
Please visit the learning links section of this site for additional resources by subject.