Welcome to the Year 4 & 5 (Oak Class) page
Your teacher in Oak Class is Mrs Lindsay Sutcliffe
The children have settled into Oak class well after the summer break and have impressed me with their eagerness to learn. We have an exciting term ahead and have already finished our start of year assessments.
This half term we will focus on the topic: Time Traveller. The topic encompasses time travel to the Victorian era. Links are made to the class novel Tom’s Midnight Garden, travel back in time to investigate life in the past in Boroughbridge and studies in art of William Morris.
- Oak Class Newsletter March 2019 (.pdf)
- Oak Class Long Term Plan 2018 - 2019 (.pdf)
- Oak Class Timetable September 2018 (.pdf)
Oak Class will have PE on a Wednesday afternoon and will focus on Games. They will also have a PE session on a Friday with Mr Cairns. Please make sure that your child has an indoor and outdoor PE kit in school on these days and that the clothes are named.
The pupils will have a specialist teacher, Mrs Heap, to teach them French each week.
Times tables will be sent out on a Friday, along with spellings, which will be tested the following week. When it is necessary, pupils will be given additional homework to consolidate learning, especially in Maths and English. Pupils are expected to read at least 4 times weekly and reading records should be signed by an adult.
- Times table facts. The children are tested on their times daily. It is expected that all pupils will be able to recall their times tables to 12 x 12 by the end of Year 4, with speed and accuracy. I would greatly appreciate your support helping your child to practice their times tables and division facts.
- Spellings. Every week the children will have a new spelling rule or list of Year 4 and 5 common exception words to learn and practice applying in their writing. ( Spelling frame )
- Reading. Children should be reading regularly for their literary development and enjoyment. When you have heard your child read at home (either their school reading book or a book from home), please sign their reading record as I am looking out for keen bookworms who read four or more times per week. Oak class have a set of 3 Meercats who love to go on reading adventures. Each week pupils will be chosen to take the Meercats home to read to them. Please remind your child to bring their reading book and record into school every day.
Please visit the learning links section of this site for additional resources by subject.